So, you have decided to adopt a child? What a wonderful, happy time in your life! You have just made one of the best life decisions you’ll ever make! While deciding to adopt is a joyous time, beginning the adoption process can be stressful and frightening. Adoption Assistance, Inc. is a non-profit Kentucky/ Tennessee licensed adoption agency, striving to make this major event in your life as easy and comfortable as possible.
We know from personal experience that it is difficult to wait patiently for the adoption process to occur. You just want to bring your child home! It is important for you to realize that adoption time frames vary depending on various programs but typically adoptive parents bring their child home 6-18 months from the time they initially apply. Please keep in mind that this is an AVERAGE time quote. Each adoption is an individual process and brings with it the possibility of unpredictable variables.
We feel it is crucial that prospective adoptive parents become educated in the adoption process. Understanding the steps involved prepares families for what lies ahead. With understanding comes patience. We’ll take you step by step through the process which we have outlined below and do our best to help make your adoption progress as smoothly and quickly as possible.
- Complete and return our online application.
- Talk with our staff concerning your options
- Adoption Assistance will conduct a home study
- Adoptive Parent(s) gather and submit paperwork
- Adoptive Parent(s) receive referral (potential child match)
- Adoptive Parent(s) accepts or rejects referral
- Accepted referral paperwork is processed
- Your child comes home!